Cherish the moments

While attending a grief conference, the following message from a mother who lost her daughter 10 years ago to a violent crime “we need to cherish the moments with our children” left me reviewing times when I had taken my loved ones for granted. Sure, I could have shrugged off this conversation and excused myself for being overwhelmed with numerous obligations, business commitments and working longer hours than I ever imagined to survive the economic land slide.  

Since our daughter’s birthday fell on Mother’s Day this year my goal was to find an ideal gift to convey how much she is cherished.   While breezing the aisles in a local specialty store my eyes captured those words…  “Cherish the moments” on a mug. I was elated knowing each day while sipping tea or any other beverage these words could provide comfort and peace, in our fast paced world.  As fate would have it, upon unveiling this symbolic gift were chips along the top.  My heart sank as she graciously stated “oh mom it’s okay this happens…sometimes in transporting”.  Here is my message “What’s most important is to cherish our children… with time, unconditional love and support”.  Forget the perfect gift and perfect life, because true authentic living comes with chips, dents and cracks.  As mothers we need to forgive our mistakes, minimize the need to please, slow down and trust in the Devine; since our children come through us to lead and live their own destiny.      

0 comments:

Post a Comment